Answer the following multiple choice questions:
1. The _________________ is part of the Earth in which life exists. It includes the land, water, and air/atmosphere.
2. ________________ are organisms that break down and obtain energy from dead organic matter.
3. The full range of physical and biological conditions in which an
organism lives and the way in which the organism uses these conditions
is known as a _______________.
4. A _______________ is a step in the food chain.
C. food web
D. trophic level
5. The scientific study of interactions among organisms and between organisms and their environment is _________________.
C. trophic level
6. ________________ is/are the ultimate source of energy for all life on Earth.
7. During _______________, autotrophs use light energy to convert carbon
dioxide and water into oxygen and energy-rich carbohydrates such as
sugars and starches.
D. nitrogen fixation
8. The biological influences on organisms within an ecosystem are called _______________.
A. biotic factors
B. abiotic factors
C. nonrenewable resources
9. The energy stored by producers can be passed through an ecosystem
along a ________________, a series of steps in which organisms transfer
energy by eating and being eaten.
A. food web
D. food chain
10. A(n) ________________ is a diagram that shows the relative amounts
of energy or matter contained within each trophic level in a food chain
or food web.
A. ecological pyramid
D. green revolution
11. A _______________ is a group of ecosystems that have the same climate and dominant communities.
12. Physical, or nonliving, factors that shape ecosystems are _______________.
B. biotic factors
C. abiotic factors
D. trophic levels
13. A group of individuals of the same species that live in the same area is known as a _______________.
14. A __________________ is an assemblage of different populations that live together in a defined area.
15. An organism that obtains energy by eating animals are known as _______________.
16. A network of complex interactions formed by the feeding
relationships amoung the various organisms in an ecosystem is a
A. food web
B. trophic level
C. food chain
17. ________________ is the process by which some organisms use chemical energy to produce carbohydrates.
B. Cell Respiration
18. A _______________ is an organism that can capture energy from
sunlight or chemicals and use it to produce food from inorganic
19. The total ammount of living tissue within a given trophic level is known as _______________.
C. food chain
20. _________________ is the process in which elements, chemical
compounds, and other forms of matter are passed from one organism to
another and from one part of the biosphere to another.
B. Limiting nutrients
C. Biogeochemical cycle
21. ________________ is any chemical substance that an organism requires to live.
22. _________________ is the process of converting nitrogen gas into ammonia.
D. Nitrogen fixation
23. In ecology, the term _______________ is used to describe wise
management of natural resources, including the preservation of habitats
C. invasive species
24. The Sum total of the variety of organisms in the biosphere is called _______________.
A. a biotic factor
B. an abiotic factor
D. a population
25. _________________ is the science that seeks to understand the living world.